Thursday, May 29, 2008

the philosopher and me

"Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it." Henry David Thoreau

...

Do not think. Just do it. (No, Nike is not sponsoring this blog).

Thousands of years ago, there is no electricity, PS3 or TV. So when people has finished herding the cows and sheeps, they just sat on the grass gazing at the stars and thinking about the purpose of man. I bet, that's how philosophers are born.

In Modern days, however, we do not think of such things until maybe we are past 50. Unless, you are a philosopher by profession or you are like me waiting for my Visa to go to UK for my phD. Then you'll probably do not have plenty of time to think about life, death, purpose and what it meant.

For such a long time I’ve been thinking how to pursue a successful life. As much as I like to complain, I feel I am very fortunate to say this: every part of my life so far is a success.

This is because life is like a marathon. It’s not what you achieve ultimately that matters. It’s what you achieve along the way. Every small achievement that you picked up along your life. That’s what success is.

Sometimes I look too far ahead in life, and I think, “what’s the point of me involving myself in this debate competition or what’s the point of me pursuing my phD degree, because in the end I am just going to work, get married, raise my kids and all these would be irrelevant.” But what would be relevant if I look so far ahead? Some friends of mine, would go full force for their careers, thinking that this is relevant. But is it? Would it still be in many years to come?

Just do whatever I think is right. But whatever I do, I do it to the best. Do not ask if this would bring me success in my life. Put in 200%, get busy, and success would usually come your way when you are too busy looking for it, albeit in an unexpected manner. It has worked for me for the past 28 years - in school, in my debate 'career', in my job at Maxis. So it should still work.

No comments: